Earl of Stamfords Regiment of Foot,

stamford1.jpg (8134 bytes) 1st Captains Co'y stamford1.jpg (8134 bytes)

Contact: David Luckhardt (Lieutenant, Commander), 920 32nd St, Richmond, CA 94804, 510-233-5065, david@luckhardt.com

Geographical Base: Northern California, mostly San Francisco Bay Area

Current Members: 1 Officer., 10 soldiers, 5 campfollowers

Membership Policy & Fees: Formed late 2000. ECWSA membership fees are $20/member first year, $10/member following years. Family membership fees are $25/family first, year, $15/family following years. Company/unit sets their own regimental fee (if any) for members (to pay for unit equipment such as flag, drum, all tentage & camp/cooking items as needed).

Affiliation: English Civil War Society of America (ECWSA), close ties to The Sealed Knot Society in the UK.

Uniform: Wedgewood Blue wool soldier's coat lined in white wool, wool breeches (color choice by soldier, as long as it is a muted dye) and felt hat or English Bonnet, with linen shirt, various color wool stockings (optional white, grey or linen oversocks), plus proper style shoes. Note that coat/breeches buttons made of wood or pewter for officers. In addition soldiers were issued with a leather baldric & scabbard for their sword, and a leather snapsack for belongings (wool blanket, eat ware & personal items). Optional are leather gauntlets, but required for fencing skirmish.

Weapons: Full-length matchlock musket, musket rest, sword, pike.

Colours: Blue field with one white unicorn painted in center; St. George' s canton in upper left corner (1/6th of field); blue sleeve; Blue tassels & cords of 2' length. Each Captain's company (lst-7th) has one white unicorn, with those of the Colonel's being a plain field without St. George's canton, Lt-Colonel's a plain field with St. George's canton, and Major's a white pile wavy added.

 

Stamford's History

Four pages of Regimental history from the SK Regiment's handbook are online at http://www.luckhardt.com/sk/hndbkcvr.html

Henry Grey was created Earl of Stamford in 1628. A zealous Parliamentarian, he was the first man to be declared traitor by King Charles. By the start of the war in 1642, Stamford had raised a regiment of foot and a troop of horse.

The regiment saw early action in the West Midlands and Welsh borders. Battles in 1643 included those in Evesham, Gloucester, Worcester, Sudley Castle, Tewkesbury, and Hereford. Gloucester was held against the Royalists through 1644, when the regiment went on the offensive against Littledean, Westbury, Newnham, Wilton Castle, Malmesbury and Tewkesbury. More heavy fighting took place around Gloucester and all up and down the Severn.

In 1645 the regiment negotiated with the Clubmen, and fought Royalists in the forest of Dean, later taking Evesham by storm. In May the head of Stamford's, Lt. Colonel Massey, was appointed General of the Western Association, and soon after the regiment reorganized for the New Model Army and became Colonel Charles Blunt's Regiment (Blunt was originally the 3rd Captain).